- Management Certification
- Focus on customer service
- Competency-based learning
AT A GLANCE:
- Start Date: Fall of 2014
- Grades Served: 9-12
- Major Partner: Marriott Foundation
- Students at start: 20
- Students at capacity: 213
- Focus on global citizenship
- Online portal guides
- competency-based learning
The Academy of Hospitality and Tourism (AOHT) is the newest academy at CHEC. The academy prepares high school scholars to excel in college and compete in the global workforce. The field of hospitality and tourism is one of the world's largest and DC's fastest growing industries. The AOHT is a member of the National Academy Foundation network, which is part of a national movement where scholars can learn, achieve, and advance as a professional along a chosen career path, i.e. hotel owner, travel agent, human resources associate, restaurant owner, general manager, marketing director, and meeting and event planner. The AOHT will engage students by using Hospitality and Customer Service as a lens through which everyday problems are analyzed, approached and solved. AOHT scholars enjoy personalized learning experiences; with staff focused on each individual’s specific college and career aspirations. Academic supports such as mentoring, tutoring and counseling are available.
NAF students complete their four required NAF courses prior to their senior year. This enables them to connect with post-secondary opportunities while still in high school. During their senior year, they are able to continue with Hospitality Management Dual Enrollment classes at local colleges in Washington, DC. The dual enrollment partners in DC include, George Washington University, Montgomery College and the University of the District of Columbia.In addition, all NAF students are required to take AP English and complete their capstone classes during their junior and senior years. The academy experience provides a solid preparation for college & careers and the capstone classes solidify the AOHT mission.
Enrollment has opened! We are accepting applications for the 2016-2017 School Year!
NAF ACADEMY OF HOSPITALITY & TOURISM (AOHT) SEQUENCE OF COURSES
|NAF CURRICULUM||LEVEL I||LEVEL II||LEVEL III||OPTIONAL*|
Principles of Hospitality
Sports, Entertainment & Event Planning AND Intro to Hospitality Marketing
Hospitality & Tourism Management (HTMP)
*Level I and/or II courses are currently being offered to new Academy students. CHEC will determine advanced Level III and Optional course offerings as the Academy continues implementation and student progress through the sequence.
ACADEMY INDUSTRY PARTNERS
- Courtyard by Marriott Convention Center
- Hotel Association of Washington, D.C.
- Washington Nationals
- Hilton Worldwide
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide
- Denihan Hospitality Group
- LaSalle Hotel Properties
- The Minority Resource Center
- Marriott International
- Gaylord National Harbor
- Georgetown University
- George Washington University
- Montgomery College
- Northern Virginia Community College
- Paradigm Event Management
- Residence Inn Marriott
- Urban Alliance
- University of the District of Columbia Community College
- Aligned to Common Core State and National Academy Foundation (NAF) Standards.
- Paid internships during High School for career exploration in one of the world’s largest and diverse industries.
- Hands on training in Hotel Management and Hotel ownership.
- Management training in Sports, Entertainment and Event planning.
- Opportunities for student to graduate with 3 diverse certifications through the National Academy Foundations, Customer Service Gold, and the American Hotel and Lodging Association.
- Teaches employability skills and job-specific technical skills.
- Focuses on both college and career readiness.
- Lodging Managers
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners
- Food Service Managers
- Travel Agents and Guides
- Restaurant Owners / General Managers
- Hotel Owner
- Marketing Directors
- Sales Managers and Representatives
- Accountant and Bookkeepers
- Human Resources Associates